|Servings:||12 1-cup servings|
|Prep Time||40 min|
|Cooking Time||8-9 hours in slow cooker|
Nutrition Facts per serving
Denise's Recipe of the Week, by Sunset Magazine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with the side of a knife
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 carrots (12 oz. total), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 1/2 cups eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced (1/2 in. thick)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup diced onion (about 5 oz.)
- 29 oz. (2 cans) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzos, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- Pour olive oil into a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring often until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to scorch the garlic. Scrape the mixture into a slow-cooker (at least 5 qt.).
- Add broth, carrots, eggplant, zucchini, cauliflower, onion, stewed tomatoes (with juices), garbanzos, currants, almonds, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Cover slow-cooker and cook on high until vegetables are tender to bite and flavors are blended, 8 to 9 hours.
- Ladle about 3 cups of the vegetable mixture into a blender. Holding lid down with a towel and taking care to avoid steam, whirl until smooth.
- Return purée to slow-cooker and stir to blend.
- Ladle stew into a tureen or individual bowls.